There are 2 things to look forward to in July. The 1st is the mangoes. There are mango trees all over the island, and so this time of year there are more mangoes than the people of Saba could ever possibly eat. They are hanging everywhere you look. The air literally smells of mango. There are mangoes rolling down the road and some that are smushed all over the road. The locals are so excited and stuff themselves with mangoes to the point of upset stomachs. The creatures of Saba seem to be just as excited for mango season. The iguanas love them. And the best part is the goats who are sporting orange rings around their mouths. Now for the sad part....neither of us like mangoes. It's such a shame and seems like a waste because they are so abundant and so anticipated by everyone who lives here. Even though I won't eat them, I looked forward to mango season just to see the excitement for everyone as they gather armfuls.
My favorite plant on the entire island also blooms in July. I could not wait for them this year. It's the flamboyant/flame/July tree. I personally call them flame trees, but I hear them referred to by all 3 names by different people. They are beautiful! In 100 years when we have our own home, the flame tree color WILL be somewhere in our house. The blooms are a bright orange-red, and the leaves are a bright light green. The contrast between those colors is so lovely. The odd thing about these trees is that when they're not in bloom, they look totally dead. The limbs become completely bare, and if you didn't know better you may just be tempted to cut the tree down. But then comes June, and the leaves start coming out. And then comes July with gorgeous blooms on the tree that overflow as petals fallen on the road. When my family was here in April, my mom could have sworn the tree below was dead. Look at it now!
And here's a close-up of the blooms. Beautiful!
2 comments:
Beth, thanks so much for writing another entry. I enjoy them so much. That tree is absolutely beautiful. I enjoyed the beautiful trees and flowers when I was there. It is more beautiful than anything I had ever seen. You should bring a banana tree home with you. Ha!!!! I am with you on the mangos. I don't like them either. Have a great day.
I miss that blooming July tree! Ah . . . Saba memories.
Post a Comment